NSW's deputy premier has not ruled out the government reversing its plan to tear up and rebuild two Sydney stadiums, noting it has a history of policy backflips.
John Barilaro says a final decision is yet to be made on the estimated $2.5 billion project, with business cases for both Allianz and ANZ still to be fully considered.
He expects that to happen within the next few weeks.
"I can't see there is any reason why we won't continue to proceed with the stadiums because you would hope that the information that we made the original decision on does stack up," he told ABC Radio on Friday.
"But I've learnt in politics, never say never."
The NSW Nationals leader said the coalition government had "changed our position on a number of policies" - including the ban on greyhound racing and some council amalgamations amid widespread controversy.
"Sometimes as governments and politicians you've got to learn to listen, and if there is red hot anger out there, we've got to actually take that on board in the final decision," Mr Barilaro said.
"But at this stage, if those business cases come in and they tick those boxes, the government will have to make an announcement on its next stage."
Mr Barilaro believes a vast majority of people think the Allianz Stadium rebuild made "absolute sense", but acknowledge some had doubts about the former Olympic stadium at Homebush.
NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian last week reiterated that the planned stadium projects were government policy and the intention was for them to go ahead.
Australian Associated Press